Synopsis

When a brutal murder strikes a small town, the lives of everyone involved are changed forever. And so is the town. Follow these vivid characters as they try to navigate the strange and ever-changing landscape of mores, beliefs, and self identity that will leave all of their lives forever altered. The lines of good and evil quickly become blurred in this postmodern glance at what identity means in a time of crisis. Mob bosses become vulnerable, strippers become superwomen, cops become craven and broken, and "broken men" try to find redemption in this literary tour de force by one of America's new writers.

Check it out for free, then head to Amazon:

http://www.joecafe.kindleflippages.com

Also check out free blogs and music:
unemployedimagination.blogspot.com
avoidingthestairs.blogspot.com
http://theflyingblackhats.bandcamp.com
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Flying+Black+Hats

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Eulogy

            “There are many things you can say about a man like Tom.  I don’t feel like getting into it, really.  But I will.  To oblige him.  Tom was not a man of contradictions.  He was not a tortured soul.  He was neither a pragmatist or a decadent.  He defied categorization.  And perhaps that is why I always hated him so. 
            Yes, he made me see the weakness in myself.  It was a weapon he could wield at will.  It is why I am here.  This is his final prank.  In fantastical daydreams, I imagined myself at Tom’s funeral, but it was generally not in this context. 
            I am going to try and prove today that Tom was wrong about me.  That I can and will take the higher ground.  Judging by the turnout today there were many people who loved Tom.  I can only assume there were sides to him that I did not know.  Parts of him that were only displayed for certain people. 
            But I will not be false, either.  And perhaps that is why Tom stipulated that I deliver his eulogy.  I hope that is the reason.  Because the man you loved was also a cruel, sadistic, bastard.  He made my life miserable for almost twelve years.  I am not glad he is dead.  I feel nothing.  I feel the same as I felt when I found out his wife left him.  Unable to hate him enough.  Why?  I have asked myself that question over and over. 
            There is perhaps one other reason why Tom asked me to be here today and I will not shrink from it.  We grew up together.  Tom was the hero.  I was the sissy.  It was all very American and petty.  Until one night when I ran into him at a bar.  He followed me out to the deserted parking lot.  I fought back but was overwhelmed.  It affects me to this day.
            When I think of Tom I will try to remember you folks and not the snarling face of a bully.  I will think of your kind faces.  I’m sorry for this, but it could not be avoided.  I think this may have been what Tom wanted.  It is for damn sure what he deserves.”

No comments:

Post a Comment